Friday 13 June 2014

Twelfth night Research


Shakespeare-

William Shakespeare was an English poet, playwright and actor. He is widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English Language and dramatist. He was born and brought up in Stratford-upon-Avon. Shakespeare wrote plays in 3 genres, tragedies, histories and comedies. Twelfth night is a comedy which is believed to be written around 1601-2.

Twelfth Night-

Synopsis
Set in Illyria, the play is centred around twins called Viola and Sebastian who are separated by a shipwreck. The play follows Viola as she disguise herself as a man. Many confusions occur such as Viola falling in love with her master, the count Duke Orsino, the Duke being in love with the Countess Olivia and Olivia falling in love with Viola. There is much riotous disorder as the plot draws together towards the ending of the play.

Characters-

Viola
  • Sebastian's Twin Sister
  • Shipwrecked at the begging of the play
  • Young
  • Heroine
  • Disguised herself as a man named Cesario
  • From Messaline
  • Likable
Sebastian
  • Viola's twin brother
  • Supposedly drowned in a shipwreck
  • Visiting Illyria
Duke Orsino
  • Duke of Illyria
  • In love with Olivia
  • Hires the disguised Viola
Countess Olivia
  • A wealthy countess
  • Refuses to see any suitors until 7 years have passed of her fathers and brothers deaths
  • Falls in love with the disgusted Viola
Malvolio
  •   Steward in the household of Olivia
Maria
  • Olivia's gentlewoman
Sir Toby Belch
  • Olivia's uncle
Sir Andrew Aguecheek
  • A rich man who Sir Toby brings to be Olivia's wooer
Feste
  • A clown/jester in the household of Olivia
Fabian
  • A servant and friend to Sir Toby
 Antonio
  • A captain and friend to Sebastian

Valentine and Curio
  • Gentlemen attending on the Duke

A Servant of Olivia

Captain of the wrecked ship
  • Friend to Viola



Viola-

Character Analysis

Viola, like most of Shakespeare's heroines, is a very likeable figure. She has no serious faults, and the audience can easily brush off her decision to dress like a man as it sets the whole play in motion. she is the character whose love seems the purest, as the other characters passions are fickle. Only Viola seems to be truly in love as opposed to being self indulgently lovesick. I think this make the audience actually sympathise with Viola. However the main problem in Viola throughout the play is identity. this is because as she is disguised she has to be both herself and Cesario. This mounting identity crisis reaches its climax in the final scene when Viola finds herself surround by people who each have a different idea of who she is and are unaware of who she actually is. It is interesting to look at why Viola disguises her identity, on one hand we can say that it is because she is not able to face the world without her brother. on the other hand Viola's decision to cross dress is a her decision to take control of the situation, this proactive decision makes her defiant and bold as she is willing to face whatever comes her way.


  • likeable
  • caring
  • passionate
  • true
  • blurred identity
  • devoted
  • bold
  • brave
  • self sufficient
  • independent
  • level headed
  • practical
  • resourceful
  • quick witted
  • native intelligence
  • charming
  • loyalty
  • skilled in music and conversation
  • simple
  • straightforward
  • good humoured
  • honest

What happens in the scene before my monologue?

Viola has just visited Olivia to try and charm her for the Duke. She listens to Viola and falls in love with her. When Viola leaves Olivia sends her servant Malvolio to give her ring to Viola and say it was the Dukes. This means that Viola has to return.

Just before the monologue Malvolio catches up with Viola and asks if she was just with Olivia, she responds that she was. Malvolio then give her a ring and tells her she should have taken it herself to save him the trouble of running after her to find her. Viola says that she didn't give Olivia a ring yet Malvolio doesn't listen and throws the ring back at her and turns and leaves. This leave Viola in a state of confusion unable to work out what has happen, which is when the monologue begins.

I have found a translated version of my monologue-
http://nfs.sparknotes.com/twelfthnight/page_64.html


VIOLA
I didn’t give her any ring. What’s she trying to say? I hope she doesn’t have a crush on me! It’s true she looked at me a lot, in fact, she looked at me so much that she seemed distracted, and couldn’t really finish her sentences very well. Oh, I really think she loves me! She sent this rude messenger to tell me to come back, instead of coming herself, which would be indiscreet. She doesn’t want Orsino’s ring! Orsino never sent her a ring. I’m the man she wants. If that’s true, which it is, she might as well be in love with a dream, the poor lady. Now I understand why it’s bad to wear disguises. Disguises help the devil do his work. It’s so easy for a good-looking but deceitful man to make women fall in love with him. It’s not our fault—we women are weak. We can’t help what we’re made of. Ah, how will this all turn out? My lord loves her, and. poor me, I love him just as much. And she’s deluded enough to be in love with me. What can possibly fix this situation? I’m pretending to be a man, so my love for the Duke is hopeless. And since I’m a woman—too bad I’m a woman—Olivia’s love for me is hopeless as well! Oh, only time can sort out this mess. I can’t figure it out by myself!


This gives me an understanding of any parts of the monologue which I didn't understand. this will help me as if I get stuck on intention or what Viola is thinking I can look at this and it can better my understanding of the monologue.

No comments:

Post a Comment