Wednesday 11 June 2014

Why did i choose my monologues? - Lily, Glass Eels

To pick our monologues we had to sort through a number of monologues to narrow down to ones that would work with our casting, i manged to get them down to 6 that i liked and from there made notes of each one and compared them. I final made a decision by doing some initial research on each one.

The monologue that i picked  was Lily, from Glass Eeels

I choose to do this monologue as the age of the character is 16 which works with my casting as my playing age is 13-17. I also related to this piece as the character is a young girl going through the struggle of being a teenager but also is trying to find herself. i could also relate to the age of the character. i have experienced the loss of someone close to me so i thought i could bring this emotion to life using emotional memory. while reading this piece i found it quite shocking and interesting in terms of depth of the character and the story and emotions behind it. it is also very engaging and draws me in and wants me to find out more about the characters story and about her. there was an emotional journey throughout this piece, it started by being quite a comfortable atmosphere almost light and cheeky then moved through into innocence and finally ending with sadness. i think i am able to play these emotions and really become the character which on my part would show a really good emotional range. this piece is going to move my acting skills forward as i will need use my imagination to create the stage around me, a river bank, river and the other character on stage. i will have to also work on putting in the right amount of pause as to long or short could dramatically impact the overall performance of this monologue . one of my weakness is showing my though process through my acting which is something this monologue will help to pull out of me. i will also need to think about the staging of my piece and will push me to think of how having my body or face facing a different way can have a huge affect on the performance as it could not only change the atmosphere of the performance but could make the audience not able to see my face or eyes.  my initial research into the play helped me to gain an understanding of the character, i looked at some reviews and the synopsis to see what the play is about and also watch a youtube video of someone performing part of the monologue.


 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ9d-WJuTuI



No comments:

Post a Comment